Introduction to Data Science
Core reviews on data science and related fields primarily as it relates to healthcare and critical care in particular. Please see Publications page for full list of relevant publications.
- Iwashyna TJ, Liu V. What’s so different about big data?. A primer for clinicians trained to think epidemiologically. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2014;11(7):1130-1135.
- Deo RC. Machine learning in medicine. Circulation. 2015;132(20): 1920-1930.
- Ghassemi M, Celi LA, Stone DJ. State of the art review: the data revolution in critical care. Crit Care. 2015;19:118.
- Suresh S. Big Data and Predictive Analytics: Applications in the Care of Children. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2016 Apr;63(2):357-66.
- Sanchez-Pinto LN, Luo Y, Churpek MM. Big data and data science in critical care. Chest 2018;154:1239-1248.
- Bennett TD, Callaghan TJ, Feinstein JA, Ghosh D, Lakhani SA, Spaeder MC, Szefler SJ, Kahn MG. Data science for child health. J Pediatr 2019;208:12-22.
- Pencina MJ et al. Prediction Models – Development, Evaluation, and Clinical Application. N Engl J Med 2020;382:1583-1586.
Online resources to learn R statistical language programming.
Online content including data sources, courses, press articles and other related data science content.
- Excellent GitHub repository for all things Data Science by Alastair Rushworth
- Medical Data for Machine Learning – curated list of medical data sources for machine learning
- The 10 Algorithms Machine Learning Engineers Need To Know – article by James Le
- Leveraging Data Science for Global Health – open access e-book
- Machine Learning Explained – an education initiative to explain ML concepts – https://mlu-explain.github.io/
Data Science Resources